• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 AM
  • Interests:Travelling, Camping
  • Camper Brand:07 Northern Lite 9.6Q SE
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Silverado LT, EC, 3500, D/A, DRW, 4X4
  • Name (Public):Ken

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Northern Lite owners should know that a small hole has beem drilled into the bottom of the camper for drainage purposes. The hole on mine is under the outside drainage hose which drains the fresh water tank. I spoke to Chuck at the Factory and he informed the hole was put there in case the fresh water tank or any hoses sprung a leak.If this happens, the water could then drain out. There could be one on each side of the camper. If the unit sits on any platform, be it wood, rubber or whatever, in the truck, make sure there is some kind of gap under the hole. Also, ensure that there is no way water can pool under the hole(s) or it may back up into the camper. For roof clearance on mine, I have two rubber mats. The top mat is placed so there is a gap between the hole and the bottom mat. It is also set up so any water getting into the box of the truck has easy drainage out, not allowing it to pool anywhere.
I hope this info is some help to NL owners.

Ken

#2 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Northern Lite owners should know that a small hole has beem drilled into the bottom of the camper for drainage purposes. The hole on mine is under the outside drainage hose which drains the fresh water tank. I spoke to Chuck at the Factory and he informed the hole was put there in case the fresh water tank or any hoses sprung a leak.If this happens, the water could then drain out. There could be one on each side of the camper. If the unit sits on any platform, be it wood, rubber or whatever, in the truck, make sure there is some kind of gap under the hole. Also, ensure that there is no way water can pool under the hole(s) or it may back up into the camper. For roof clearance on mine, I have two rubber mats. The top mat is placed so there is a gap between the hole and the bottom mat. It is also set up so any water getting into the box of the truck has easy drainage out, not allowing it to pool anywhere.
I hope this info is some help to NL owners.

Ken

A drain hole for leaks, Yikes. Is that an admission of things to come? Northern Lites do not have leaks, so no hole is needed. YMMV Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#3 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:24 AM

The tanks are in the basement and there are no access panels underneath. From what I understand it is a major job to repair a tank on a NL. I think the fibreglass has to be cut.

Posted Image

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

The problem is there is no predrilling so some screws are stripped and don't hold the seal tight. They just drive the screw thru the camper body. Most of the items installed only rely on the camper body Fiberglass for screw holding strength. The structural places have thick plywood and screw backing.

Many places I have had to provide backing for screw holding strength. I use UHMW to give the backing needed
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#5 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

The problem is there is no predrilling so some screws are stripped and don't hold the seal tight. They just drive the screw thru the camper body. Most of the items installed only rely on the camper body Fiberglass for screw holding strength. The structural places have thick plywood and screw backing.

Many places I have had to provide backing for screw holding strength. I use UHMW to give the backing needed

Mike, That is good information about the screw holding , or lack there of, ability on the Northern Lite campers. If anyone is in the market for a Northern Lite I would urge you to PM , MJG camper and find out about his many opportunities with the Northern Lite camper. YMMV, Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#6 OFFLINE   Gary S.

Gary S.

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:British Columbia
  • Camper Brand:Lance 992
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Dually 3500
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

I owned a Northern Lite camper for about 9 years.
We had a awning installed by a Williams Lake BC RV dealer and it was a constant hassle to keep the screws tight.
They did a lousy job and I think they should have informed us before the installation that there was no backing.
They installed it anyways and it was trouble right from the start.

The camper was great but we wanted more space and ended up buying another brand because Northern Lite makes no slide-outs.
If they did we would have bought one.

#7 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:55 PM

Wow, I wonder what it's like to own a perfect camper...

Thanks Kenrosey for that information, I was wondering what those holes were for. I just hope all the perfect campers out there don't develop leaks and hold IN all the water. It would be a shame to see all that plywood rot.
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#8 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

Wow, I wonder what it's like to own a perfect camper...

Thanks Kenrosey for that information, I was wondering what those holes were for. I just hope all the perfect campers out there don't develop leaks and hold IN all the water. It would be a shame to see all that plywood rot.

Well , as you know there is no perfect camper. All of those perfect campers have lots of crackes for water to run out of to keep the plywood from rotting. The perfect camper is the one that we own, but soon find out it is not. YMMV, Jim

#9 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

The perfect camper is the one most loved, used, fixed and cared for.

Gary S. your NL probably doesn't have to live in and put up with rain country.
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#10 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

Update; the perfect camper does not start to crush under it's own weight. The basement sides, like an 'I' beam, are made of only 3/16ths luan plywood. I can break the stuff with my fingers.

It was a really tough weekend crawling in and out of 10-2 RR basement that is only 14 inches high, having to restructure the sides. That was so very difficult.

Edited by mjgcamper, 03 October 2010 - 06:57 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   The Gman

The Gman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ca
  • Camper Brand:Northern lite
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Gregg

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:13 AM

I too have a Northern lite model 10-2 that has the basement crushing issue. Mine has a had a sag in the passenger side rear since the day I bought it but now I noticed there is an actual cracked and bulged area just in front of the generator compartment. I am a welder/ custom metal fabricator and I will soon be tearing into my basement to see what I can do to reinforce and repair this issue and will post pics and vids in the hopes of helping others with the same issue.

#12 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Local time: 08:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

One of the things I like about my NL is there is no way that anything (like mice) can come in and go for a ride with me.  Is the new hole large enough for things to access the basement of the camper and start to live there?

#13 OFFLINE   Facetiousxm

Facetiousxm

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:102cd
  • Name (Public):Shawn

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

I just purchased an 03 NL camper that didn't make back to my house before the right side started to crush in onnitself. I'd like to know what u guys did to repair this with pout having to cut fiberglass on the side. I came fabricate some stuff but would like to see what others did. Thanks any pics would be great my email is shawnfike@gmail.com and I'll share my thoughts and input also going to have to rebuild the cabover queen bed supports..

#14 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

The perfect camper STARTS as any NOT made by Travel Lite.   :happy0045: 

From there, you're on your own, but at least you began on the right path.  

#15 OFFLINE   treecutter

treecutter

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM
  • State/Province or Region:ontario
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-450

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Doesn't NL have a 5 year Warranty? Shouldn't that take care of the issues?

#16 OFFLINE   Username already taken

Username already taken

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NV

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Subscribing - I'm looking hard at the Northern Lite campers and this is the first I've heard of the issue.

Is there any chance it's just the older units?  We're looking at a new one.  Hoping they've corrected the issue.  

As light as they are, they would have to be WEAK to crush under their own weight.

#17 OFFLINE   Exhost

Exhost

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Camper Brand:None
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500
  • Name (Public):Pat

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

I am considering an older northern lite and am worried about side wall collapse. What are the signs and is a repair feasible on a budget?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In