• 70 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 AM
  • State/Province or Region:private
  • Camper Brand:none
  • Truck Make & Model:none
  • Name (Public):wildcatrv

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

My reasons for a Truck Camper:

Good for overnight stays. Ease of set up is excellent. Level (if necessary) and set up the steps.

Parking in situations that a trailer or MH cannot maneuver; primitive campsites, Older campgrounds have small sites that a TC can get into. Town use easier.

A TC can go deeper into rough country. Turning around on a narrow road is less of a problem.

The TC is easier to pull off the road for a photo op or a potty stop.

Can tow a 4X4 or boat or horse trailer without the rig becoming very long.

Because a TC is cargo, there is generally no license fee.

Cons:

Too small for large families.

Some campground managers profile you as “trash people”. I don’t care.

Posted Image

Here is one of my desert campsites. There did not seem to be a "Camp Host".

Ron

Thanks Ron!

(Older campgrounds have small sites that a TC can get into) Have to admit I have experienced this one!

#122 OFFLINE   iawia

iawia

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 AM
  • Camper Brand:Kodiak K99
  • Truck Make & Model:95 GMC TD HD
  • Name (Public):Ian

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Clattertruck's reasons cover my own for going with a TC. I had a small trailer and then a small 5er (22') when my kids were around. Now I have a TC and like it. I have a bad memory of backing up a long way on a backroad with my 5er. Nevertheless, you can get a 5er in most places, if not all. Sue.T on RVnet does a lot of backroad camping, especially in the Yukon and one day when I had my 5er I was unhooked and exploring Bonaparte Lake along a very crooked, single lane road leading in to a fishing camp. I was quite surprised after driving that road to see a 26' 5er in there and more surprised that the fellow that owned it usually hauled it in and out every time rather than leaving it there. He must have been one hell of a driver to get it around the corners on that heavily treed road (I did look for dents :comp26: :D ).

Right now, I'm happy with the ease of my TC for getting around but will buy a 5er for longer trips when I retire. I will keep the TC though.
1995 GMC 2500HD TD
1997 Kodiak K99
2003 Jeep TJ
1984 Sea Ray Sundancer 260

#123 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

Clattertruck's reasons cover my own for going with a TC. I had a small trailer and then a small 5er (22') when my kids were around. Now I have a TC and like it. I have a bad memory of backing up a long way on a backroad with my 5er. Nevertheless, you can get a 5er in most places, if not all. Sue.T on RVnet does a lot of backroad camping, especially in the Yukon and one day when I had my 5er I was unhooked and exploring Bonaparte Lake along a very crooked, single lane road leading in to a fishing camp. I was quite surprised after driving that road to see a 26' 5er in there and more surprised that the fellow that owned it usually hauled it in and out every time rather than leaving it there. He must have been one hell of a driver to get it around the corners on that heavily treed road (I did look for dents :comp26: :D ).

Right now, I'm happy with the ease of my TC for getting around but will buy a 5er for longer trips when I retire. I will keep the TC though.

Interesting when you said ..."buy a 5er for longer trips when I retire. I will keep the TC though".; I have to conclude that buying a bigger TC would not cut it; as I mentioned before..if u r doing a lot of deep woods or off road type camping I can understand the value of a TC; It's when I c folks at just a regular cg's or commercial rv parks... just driving up & down the interstate's, highwys & byways that has me confused; there are only disadvantages to a TC in that scenario; no advantages..i say this with all due respect

Havng said that..thank you for your post, input & comments

Ya kno..maybe it's (TC"S) an emotional thing?..not suppose to try & make sense of it? ?maybe?

#124 OFFLINE   animules

animules

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping with and trail riding my mules.
    German Shepherd Dogs.
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 extended cab dually

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

For me, my TC is the only way to go. I always have either mule (horse) trailer or dog (cargo) trailer in tow. There is plenty of room inside my TC for myself and two large German Shepherd Dogs. :D I haven't tried fitting the mules inside yet. :lol: I don't stay in normal style campgrounds, at best (worst?) I'm in a horse camp that has no hook-ups and does have quite a bit of room in between sites. As far as weather goes, living in the Pacific Northwest means rain is not an issue......... That's what waxed cotton or Goretex is for. :fing32:

Have fun with your rig. That's really all that matters. :sign0089:
Camping in comfort with two mules and three German Shepherd Dogs. - Tina

#125 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

For me, my TC is the only way to go. I always have either mule (horse) trailer or dog (cargo) trailer in tow. There is plenty of room inside my TC for myself and two large German Shepherd Dogs. :D I haven't tried fitting the mules inside yet. :lol: I don't stay in normal style campgrounds, at best (worst?) I'm in a horse camp that has no hook-ups and does have quite a bit of room in between sites. As far as weather goes, living in the Pacific Northwest means rain is not an issue......... That's what waxed cotton or Goretex is for. :fing32:

Have fun with your rig. That's really all that matters. :sign0089:

Yup, hauling a trailer would be a reason 4 a TC!

#126 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Ron!

(Older campgrounds have small sites that a TC can get into) Have to admit I have experienced this one!

Ron, from your experience how long can you run your fridge off propane?

#127 OFFLINE   Clattertruck

Clattertruck

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and travel, Four wheeling, Photography
  • Camper Brand:2008 Snow River 10.8
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 F450 CC, DRW,PSD
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Wildcat asks, "Ron, from your experience how long can you run your fridge off propane?"

A 5 cu ft. fridge will run a long time on propane, 2 weeks at least on one bottle (4.5 gal.) in the summer time. Unless you do a lot of cooking and use the furnace for cold nights, it seem to go forever. Look at your units btu consumption and measure against your bottle's BTU capacity. A 20 lb. bottle has about 450,000 BTUs.

If the fridge uses 1500 BTUs per hour it will go about 12 days on one bottle, as I think about it. If you camp hooked up once in a while it extends out accordingly.
Ron
2008 SD F450 PSD CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat, Auto trans, 4.30 gears, 2008 Snowriver 108. Tow a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited or a Jeep Liberty.

#128 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

Wildcat asks, "Ron, from your experience how long can you run your fridge off propane?"

A 5 cu ft. fridge will run a long time on propane, 2 weeks at least on one bottle (4.5 gal.) in the summer time. Unless you do a lot of cooking and use the furnace for cold nights, it seem to go forever. Look at your units btu consumption and measure against your bottle's BTU capacity. A 20 lb. bottle has about 450,000 BTUs.

If the fridge uses 1500 BTUs per hour it will go about 12 days on one bottle, as I think about it. If you camp hooked up once in a while it extends out accordingly.
Ron

Thanks Ron!

#129 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Local time: 08:06 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have both a TC and a 5er. If using the 5er, my wife won't drive it, but if I have the TC loaded she will drive it. I don't have any problem driving in traffic, but she does. A TC is much easier to handle in heavy traffic, e.g., Denver, Salt Lake City area, etc. The trailer is harder to handle due to the length and the slower speed on the Interstates. (I drive slower than the other traffic: they go 80, I go 65~70. We took our sleeper and Coleman Popup to Alaska a few years ago; no problems. My wife wants to go visit her sister in Montana, so we will probably use the TC since it is easier to handle in traffic and is much easier to park if I get tired. I bought the 5er in 2003 when my three boys lived at home. They have all moved out so we don't use it as much. However, it makes a Great spare bedroom when company comes.
The TC is great when just the two of us are going on a trip. We have the basic camping supplies and all the other things we need. I have an electric coffeepot, but I also have a French press, which works just as well. We tend to use the national and state parks or just boondock. Since I'm retired we need to watch our expenses and the price of diesel is the most expensive item.
MPG: Towing the 5er (Cougar 276), we get between 9 and 14 mpg, depending on our altitude change. The TC gets about 12 to 15, depending on wind and altitude. When I have compared the two, it is not much difference depending on what our needs our. If we are meeting the boys, then we take the trailer so all of us can have room inside if the weather gets bad.
If I get a boat, which I am considering, I will use the TC instead of the 5er, although it is legal for me to tow a boat behind the trailer.
Best wishes on your decision making. By the way: TC weights usually are dry, when you add the other stuff like water, propane, A/C, and other items, you might be 1000# more on your truck. I added SuperSprings to my truck to take the sway out of my setup; my TC weighs only 2200# wet, but it did have a problem in the wind.

#130 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:10 AM

I have both a TC and a 5er. If using the 5er, my wife won't drive it, but if I have the TC loaded she will drive it. I don't have any problem driving in traffic, but she does. A TC is much easier to handle in heavy traffic, e.g., Denver, Salt Lake City area, etc. The trailer is harder to handle due to the length and the slower speed on the Interstates. (I drive slower than the other traffic: they go 80, I go 65~70. We took our sleeper and Coleman Popup to Alaska a few years ago; no problems. My wife wants to go visit her sister in Montana, so we will probably use the TC since it is easier to handle in traffic and is much easier to park if I get tired. I bought the 5er in 2003 when my three boys lived at home. They have all moved out so we don't use it as much. However, it makes a Great spare bedroom when company comes.
The TC is great when just the two of us are going on a trip. We have the basic camping supplies and all the other things we need. I have an electric coffeepot, but I also have a French press, which works just as well. We tend to use the national and state parks or just boondock. Since I'm retired we need to watch our expenses and the price of diesel is the most expensive item.
MPG: Towing the 5er (Cougar 276), we get between 9 and 14 mpg, depending on our altitude change. The TC gets about 12 to 15, depending on wind and altitude. When I have compared the two, it is not much difference depending on what our needs our. If we are meeting the boys, then we take the trailer so all of us can have room inside if the weather gets bad.
If I get a boat, which I am considering, I will use the TC instead of the 5er, although it is legal for me to tow a boat behind the trailer.
Best wishes on your decision making. By the way: TC weights usually are dry, when you add the other stuff like water, propane, A/C, and other items, you might be 1000# more on your truck. I added SuperSprings to my truck to take the sway out of my setup; my TC weighs only 2200# wet, but it did have a problem in the wind.

Thanks for the input Harry... good to hear from folks that own both!

#131 OFFLINE   happycampin'

happycampin'

Poster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 AM
  • Interests:Boating, Jet-Ski, Stand-up Jet-Ski (yeah man), Horses, Camping, Traveling. Like to mix all of the above together - that's why we have a truck camper.
  • Camper Brand:SunLite 850
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram2500
  • Name (Public):kerin

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

"Bottom line, my question is why would someone buy a TC instead of a small 5er."

BOAT! :fing32:

BOAT,jetskis,Boat,four-wheelers,boat,horse trailer...

Seriously, if you're not towing anything and indoor comfort is a priority, then a 5er is the best thing for you. But if you 'live' outside and are looking to tow, truck camper is the only way to go. Good luck!

#132 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

BOAT,jetskis,Boat,four-wheelers,boat,horse trailer...

Seriously, if you're not towing anything and indoor comfort is a priority, then a 5er is the best thing for you. But if you 'live' outside and are looking to tow, truck camper is the only way to go. Good luck!

I agree, if u r pulling; but as far as I can tell lotsa folks r not but end up pullin a trailer cause they got no room in the TC; they hookup trailer for all their stuff; this kinda defeats purpose of simplicity? IMHO.. ....also folks then buy bigger TC with slides & dry baths cause they say sick & tire of CG facilities; then there is the cost; hassle & concern of weight;......it's not about livin inside; of course we r outside AMAP; weather does not always co-operate; hence the thrill of TC with slides (hey we need more room);
but yes..if u r pulling a boat etc.. then u need a TC;

#133 OFFLINE   EASYRV

EASYRV

Poster

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MANITOBA

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

I agree, if u r pulling; but as far as I can tell lotsa folks r not but end up pullin a trailer cause they got no room in the TC; they hookup trailer for all their stuff; this kinda defeats purpose of simplicity? IMHO.. ....also folks then buy bigger TC with slides & dry baths cause they say sick & tire of CG facilities; then there is the cost; hassle & concern of weight;......it's not about livin inside; of course we r outside AMAP; weather does not always co-operate; hence the thrill of TC with slides (hey we need more room);
but yes..if u r pulling a boat etc.. then u need a TC;

Hello Wildcat!

I sense U R like me. Trying to figure out the value(reason for) of a TC. I have a small TT. If people are satisfied with the space of a TC it is tottaly beyond me why they woukld not go with the equivelent size TT or 5ER. I c folks jumpin thru hoops tryin 2 get their TC/truck setup. Unless u r towing a boat..motorcycle..just put in the truck bed. I can go anywhere a TC can go..unless maybe it the very small tent ones. But any TC on a dually or 3000 lbs ++ .. not a hope in hell u going off road with that.. TT or 5er is a fraction of the cost; dry bath; more space; lot less hassle ;
Wildcat..check out this guys real world experince..scary
http://www.where-rv-...com/Notes/F350/

#134 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hello Wildcat!

I sense U R like me. Trying to figure out the value(reason for) of a TC. I have a small TT. If people are satisfied with the space of a TC it is tottaly beyond me why they woukld not go with the equivelent size TT or 5ER. I c folks jumpin thru hoops tryin 2 get their TC/truck setup. Unless u r towing a boat..motorcycle..just put in the truck bed. I can go anywhere a TC can go..unless maybe it the very small tent ones. But any TC on a dually or 3000 lbs ++ .. not a hope in hell u going off road with that.. TT or 5er is a fraction of the cost; dry bath; more space; lot less hassle ;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Easyrv… Well all I can say is neither of us have experienced the TC… sometimes that is what it takes.. I ride a harley.. if u look at it logically it makes no sense.. maybe TC r like that..it’s emotional…u want 2 belong 2 this special unique club (I guess)… us harley people say..if we have 2 explain u wont understand… I have 2 make certain assumptions.. cause logically unless u r towing a boat it makes no sense…all else motorcycles, atv’s etc.. can b put in truck bed

I c lots dudes on the road pulling trailers behind their TC..for all there stuff… this 100% defeats the purpose of a TC.. they r now pulling + beatin the hell outa their trucks…cause most do not have enough truck 4 their TC 2 start… and I know why..u have 2 cheat on the truck.. do the numbers…..if u got the proper truck.. ..most (99%) need F-350 dually

First u have 2 beef up ur suspension, tires, shocks..add exhaust brakes pay big bucks 4 small livin space..hope it doesn’t rain cause u stuck at dinette or bed..or u go 4 a drive.. then worry about sway, big winds & list goes on & on..

Any small TT or 5er (4 less money, easier on the truck, more space, better handling) has none of these issue without the concern with all the GVWR crap…..no red knuckle experience goin down hills with 3000++lbs on ur back hopin brakes don’t give out…
Unless u got exhaust brakes..just go on the TC magazine website.. tons of aftermarket stuff is sold & they tell u what needs 2 b done 2 make the truck sorta safe.. if u follow the correct guidelines.. u pretty much have 2 go with the tent top TC… the TC MFG’s tell u the size truck their TC go on..dream on .. in reality the ½ ton TC goes on the ¾ ton trucks & so on.. otherwise u got 2 much TC 4 the truck

Again if u tow a boat ya got no choice..but then 4 all the money & hassle ya still better off with a small ..say 25ft Motorhome.. still cheaper even if u have 2 get a 2nd car..most never take the TC off the truck when they go on trips...cause it just way to much hassle & stressful.. so 25ft MH would do a better job

Easyrv have u seen some of these triple slide TC..these need F550… totally defeating the purpose..triple slide? Message is we need space..slides on TC..same msg..we need space.. if space was nonissue..why worry about slides.. extra few feet..for extra 1000lbs..YIPES!...
well u get my drift…just buy a small motorhome, TT or 5er..

Then there is we can go anywhere with it…ya rite! Well maybe there is someplaces a TC can go that a small TT or 5er cant go..but it would have to be the tent type top TC ..because most that have 2 much TC 4 there truck… or the ones on the dually’s.. and lots pull trailers 4 their stuff.. they r not gonna do any offroading.. so maybe a TC can go anywhere..but the tent top type on a 3/4 ton..rest or most very unlikely….most play it real safe.. cause they know.. I have way 2 much TC 4 this truck…and besides 4 the vast majority of us..non issue… I haVE A SMALL 5er (26ft 6k lbs) 22 ft behind my truck.. ¾ ton diesel … not 2 many paces I cant go… hills, mountains, state parks… back in, unhook in 5 mins, & away I go..

So far..that is my humble opinion..if I get some new info.. I will let u know..

EASYRV..again.. I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THE IMPRESSION THAT I KNO THE TC EXPERINCE..I DO NOT..MAYBE IF I TOOK ONE OUT 4 A WEEKEND I WOULD CHANGE MY MIND…

Info I shared here is all based on observation..

In the meantime happy RV’ing EASYRV..

#135 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hello Wildcat!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Easyrv… Well all I can say is neither of us have experienced the TC… sometimes that is what it takes.. I ride a harley.. if u look at it logically it makes no sense.. maybe TC r like that..it’s emotional…u want 2 belong 2 this special unique club (I guess)… us harley people say..if we have 2 explain u wont understand… I have 2 make certain assumptions.. cause logically unless u r towing a boat it makes no sense…all else motorcycles, atv’s etc.. can b put in truck bed

I c lots dudes on the road pulling trailers behind their TC..for all there stuff… this 100% defeats the purpose of a TC.. they r now pulling + beatin the hell outa their trucks…cause most do not have enough truck 4 their TC 2 start… and I know why..u have 2 cheat on the truck.. do the numbers…..if u got the proper truck.. ..most (99%) need F-350 dually

First u have 2 beef up ur suspension, tires, shocks..add exhaust brakes pay big bucks 4 small livin space..hope it doesn’t rain cause u stuck at dinette or bed..or u go 4 a drive.. then worry about sway, big winds & list goes on & on..

Any small TT or 5er (4 less money, easier on the truck, more space, better handling) has none of these issue without the concern with all the GVWR crap…..no red knuckle experience goin down hills with 3000++lbs on ur back hopin brakes don’t give out…
Unless u got exhaust brakes..just go on the TC magazine website.. tons of aftermarket stuff is sold & they tell u what needs 2 b done 2 make the truck sorta safe.. if u follow the correct guidelines.. u pretty much have 2 go with the tent top TC… the TC MFG’s tell u the size truck their TC go on..dream on .. in reality the ½ ton TC goes on the ¾ ton trucks & so on.. otherwise u got 2 much TC 4 the truck

Again if u tow a boat ya got no choice..but then 4 all the money & hassle ya still better off with a small ..say 25ft Motorhome.. still cheaper even if u have 2 get a 2nd car..most never take the TC off the truck when they go on trips...cause it just way to much hassle & stressful.. so 25ft MH would do a better job

Easyrv have u seen some of these triple slide TC..these need F550… totally defeating the purpose..triple slide? Message is we need space..slides on TC..same msg..we need space.. if space was nonissue..why worry about slides.. extra few feet..for extra 1000lbs..YIPES!...
well u get my drift…just buy a small motorhome, TT or 5er..

Then there is we can go anywhere with it…ya rite! Well maybe there is someplaces a TC can go that a small TT or 5er cant go..but it would have to be the tent type top TC ..because most that have 2 much TC 4 there truck… or the ones on the dually’s.. and lots pull trailers 4 their stuff.. they r not gonna do any offroading.. so maybe a TC can go anywhere..but the tent top type on a 3/4 ton..rest or most very unlikely….most play it real safe.. cause they know.. I have way 2 much TC 4 this truck…and besides 4 the vast majority of us..non issue… I haVE A SMALL 5er (26ft 6k lbs) 22 ft behind my truck.. ¾ ton diesel … not 2 many paces I cant go… hills, mountains, state parks… back in, unhook in 5 mins, & away I go..

So far..that is my humble opinion..if I get some new info.. I will let u know..

EASYRV..again.. I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THE IMPRESSION THAT I KNO THE TC EXPERINCE..I DO NOT..MAYBE IF I TOOK ONE OUT 4 A WEEKEND I WOULD CHANGE MY MIND…

Info I shared here is all based on observation..

In the meantime happy RV’ing EASYRV..

#136 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

That's the beauty of this country, you can buy anything you want even when it seems to make no sense to everyone.
We look at our rig as a traveling vehicle, stopping when and where ever we want with out too much planning ahead.
The TC fits into 99% of parking lots and campgrounds.
We stop in attraction parking lots and any grocery store lots and fit into every fuel station.
We don't tow unless our trip becomes a destination and the jeep comes along for the side trips.
Unless you have a smaller trailer or fiver you have to think ahead and maybe unhook and pay to stay somewhere.
Any where we go we have our food and bed for naps and our own clean bathroom with us and we don't have to back track to pick up the trailer saving time, fuel and campground fees.
We are also self sufficient for four days including enough water for eight showers, before looking for a sani dump.
We never plan or expect to have hookups.
Yes we have little space, but till our age makes us stay inside and watch TV we will spend as much time outside and come in only to sleep.

#137 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

That's the beauty of this country, you can buy anything you want even when it seems to make no sense to everyone.
We look at our rig as a traveling vehicle, stopping when and where ever we want with out too much planning ahead.
We stop in attraction parking lots and any grocery store lots and fit into every fuel station.
We don't tow unless our trip becomes a destination and the jeep comes along for the side trips.
Unless you have a smaller trailer or fiver you have to think ahead and maybe unhook and pay to stay somewhere.
Any where we go we have our food and bed for naps and our own clean bathroom with us and we don't have to back track to pick up the trailer saving time, fuel and campground fees.
We are also self sufficient for four days including enough water for eight showers, before looking for a sani dump.
Yes we have little space, but till our age makes us stay inside and watch TV we will spend as much time outside and come in only to sleep.

Good Day!

Thanks for the input..but it begs the question.. I see you have a F-550 flatbed. Obviously you wanted to be safe on the road & match up TC with truck correctly...You pretty much created a MH...So why not just go with a small motorhome? Or if you knew what you know now about the TC.. would you still buy it or go with a small MH,TT or 5Er??

Thanks

#138 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

P.S. To my last response; I really want to understand so I re-read your response... "We don't tow unless our trip becomes a destination and the jeep comes along for the side trips".
Here you are ..I think....contradicting yourself.. I see lotsa folks towing vehicles behind their TC.. I would think the BIG PLUS of a TC is the TC is with you for the side trips?? As you say..."and we don't have to back track to pick up the trailer saving time, fuel and campground fees".
That kinda confused me..anyhow thanks for all your input

#139 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

I have worked with weights my whole life and am currently a professional driver.
On the farm we would load the trucks to the max for deliveries and the trucks would be empty 2 hours later.
With a TC you will be maxed out for the weekend or for weeks depending on the length of your trip.
You should drive what you feel comfortable with.

When I drive for work, I have no choice the truck is a certain size and we do only and many deliveries, down narrow roads and even narrower driveways, we even tow bulk fertilizer bins and this has it's own problems, we are not allowed to go over 25 MPH and they are not easily backed and where we deliver there is a50% chance of getting stuck when it rains.

Getting back to destination trips, we try and take off somewhere every 3 weeks and the few rally's we attend a year, if it is in one location only we tow the jeep.
This only happens once a year maybe 2.
On a longer distance traveling trip we hang a 250cc motorcycle off the back just in case.

In closing, I drive a TC because it so far suits our life style and it's more relaxing to drive then anything you have to tow.
The people you meet in other TCs are the best, they don't hide in their trailers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In