• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM
  • State/Province or Region:private
  • Camper Brand:none
  • Truck Make & Model:none
  • Name (Public):wildcatrv

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

I have had both on a Chevy Duramax K2500HD with our present RV being a 26', 5th wheel trailer by Citation with a full slide.

First and foremost it's like comparing apples and oranges. IMHO, there is no comparison.

After a long hard days drive and then finding an illusive campsite in the rain you park your fifth wheel and get in outta the rain, into a unit that does not relegate you to either the bed or the dinette like is the case with a TC. Very little or no levelling is required of a 5'er. Weight is no longer an issue with the size of 5'er you're quoting. It takes way more time to off load a TC then it does to unhook a 5'er = 5 mins, TC = minimum 15-20 mins, that is if the campground will allow you to off load your TC. Man if you find a TC with a slide at a weight of only 3000lbs then you're the luckiest soul on earth. I would hazard a guess to say a decent sized TC of any quality with a slide weighs minimum 3800lbs dry. TCs have their attributes in that you can tow a boat, utility trailer, what have you behind your unit. They can get in and outta spots that a 5'er can't but then again, I haven't found one yet that is worth going into. Ease of storage at home since they don't take up much space. Very compact and self contaned "IF" your truck has the cargo carrying capacity to carry all that you want in it + full fresh water tank!!! Some here tow trailers to carry a lot of extras and take the load off the truck. IMHO, this is totally defeating the purpose of this units prime reason for being = self contained.

5'er attributes = tons of storage space. Lots of fresh water capacity = 60gals in our unit, as well as large holding tanks 25 + 35gals. Some units have 2 x grey tanks as well as a black tank. Lots of room to move around in especially during inclement weather. 30lb propane tanks x 2. All weight specs well within limits since most of the units weight is on its own axles. Depending on the unit you decide pin weight on the hitch can vary from as little as 1200lbs to 2000lbs. UNLIKE a TC, the GVWR is now a non-issue. Your concern is now the GCVWR = gross combined vehicle weight rating = my trucks maximum = 22,000lbs and my actual weight of both 5'er + truck = 18,000lbs. I am able to get this figure by weighng each axle and totalling all these weights. You can get this done at a gov't axle weigh scale. You also have a larger fridge capacity 8cubic ft as opposed to 6, full bathroom with tub/shower, larger bedroom and some have slideouts. Many more interior cupboards to keep the Mrs happy and lots more lighting.

Overall we did enjoy our TC very much although like any small unit the negatives really standout. Our 5'er has it's moments as well like when you're stuck in traffic on the I-5 and want to change lanes to exit and no one is in the mood to let you in. If you have a growing family the fiver will suit you best as was the case of a close relative of mine who just traded his 9.5' Citation Supreme TC in for a Triple E Topaz 25' fifth wheel with slide. His truck is a 2001 F-350 4x4 SRW diesel = 7.3 liter Powerstroke.

This is all I can think of for now and hope this helps you out...................Steve...

#22 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, Steve. One concern (maybe a Ghost!) I had was the pulling of the 5er & getting caught in a campground or somewhere where I got "STUCK"

My RV travel experience is minimal! But maybe this is a non-issue... RV parks (private or state etc..) are setup that this is not going to happen???

What has your "actual RV travel" experience been like?

As far as storing the unit is concerned.. A 25FT 5er or 16FT - 19FT TC. Both will fit in my driveway!

Thanks Again.. I'm Starting to get some clarity ..This is a awesome forum!

#23 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, Steve. One concern (maybe a Ghost!) I had was the pulling of the 5er & getting caught in a campground or somewhere where I got "STUCK"

My RV travel experience is minimal! But maybe this is a non-issue... RV parks (private or state etc..) are setup that this is not going to happen???

What has your "actual RV travel" experience been like?

As far as storing the unit is concerned.. A 25FT 5er or 16FT - 19FT TC. Both will fit in my driveway!

Thanks Again.. I'm Starting to get some clarity ..This is a awesome forum!

Our first major trip in our 5'er (2006) was to Inuvik up the Dempster Hwy from Dawson City, YK, and not once have I been in a situation where I was out of room or unable to either back out or jack knife around and drive out. There are some very tight spots up there. All other areas to the south have been good and we've put about 38,000 miles on this 5'er since owning it. If you find yourself in a no win situation the one thing about the 5'er is you can unhook and hook back up from another angle and the hitching process is a one man show unlike a travel trailer and in some cases a TC. It takes about 10 mins to unhook and hook back up to my 5'er and like loading a TC, practice makes perfect. Another attribute is if you find a place you want to get into to take photos, admire the scenery, stop for a nooner, etc, you can park your 5'er at a campground or parking lot, with permission, and drive the truck into the area in question if you don't think you can get the trailer in to said area. You ask, "what my actual travel experience has been," I have to say, without a doubt, having had both types now I wouldn't go back. I guess I'm spoiled having a couch to sit on and a TV (satelite) to watch, when the weather is dogshit outside, is the only way to go. In fact we've enjoyed this unit so much that we now make Yuma, AZ, a regular adventure every New Yea(Feb/Mar). IMHO, the 5'ers attributes far outway any other form of RV, TCs included. Good luck with your choice and please let us know what you decide..................Steve...

#24 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Our first major trip in our 5'er (2006) was to Inuvik up the Dempster Hwy from Dawson City, YK, and not once have I been in a situation where I was out of room or unable to either back out or jack knife around and drive out. There are some very tight spots up there. All other areas to the south have been good and we've put about 38,000 miles on this 5'er since owning it. If you find yourself in a no win situation the one thing about the 5'er is you can unhook and hook back up from another angle and the hitching process is a one man show unlike a travel trailer and in some cases a TC. It takes about 10 mins to unhook and hook back up to my 5'er and like loading a TC, practice makes perfect. Another attribute is if you find a place you want to get into to take photos, admire the scenery, stop for a nooner, etc, you can park your 5'er at a campground or parking lot, with permission, and drive the truck into the area in question if you don't think you can get the trailer in to said area. You ask, "what my actual travel experience has been," I have to say, without a doubt, having had both types now I wouldn't go back. I guess I'm spoiled having a couch to sit on and a TV (satelite) to watch, when the weather is dogshit outside, is the only way to go. In fact we've enjoyed this unit so much that we now make Yuma, AZ, a regular adventure every New Yea(Feb/Mar). IMHO, the 5'ers attributes far outway any other form of RV, TCs included. Good luck with your choice and please let us know what you decide..................Steve...

#25 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hey Steve, What do think about length issues base on your experience... 38Ft VS a 26FT? Although the 26Ft works fine for me..I'm just curious

Thanks

#26 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hey Steve, What do think about length issues base on your experience... 38Ft VS a 26FT? Although the 26Ft works fine for me..I'm just curious

Thanks

Well my experience with 5'ers is limited to my present unit which has 26ft of lving space and 27.5 ft overall length. IMHO, mine is just the right length. Remember, the longer the 5'er the more restricted your stops will be!! Ours is just the right size for 2 people and the right size to handle. It weighs in at 11,000 when I have her loaded up for a trip with 60 gallons of water and my Dmax throws this unit around like it's not even there. Now I see why the truck has a 22,000lb GCVWR limit. I can get it in and out of the vast majority of campgrounds and still enjoy boondocking when the time calls for it. Also, while we're on the subject, I strongly suggest you checkout a Citation Supreme 26RKS = rear mounted kitchen with a forward entrance, and failing this checkout, the Topaz Touring Edition 251SF by Triple E. Both are fine 5'ers although the Citation is the higher quality of the two + more expensive. IMHO, not to offend my American friends, stick with the Canadian brands and you can't go wrong. Hope this helps you out..........Steve... :fing32:

PS: We didn't touch on tow vehicles. IMHO, a 1/2 ton truck is not a consideration. I would go with a 3/4 ton at the very least and will be plenty of truck to handle the length you are considering. Please remember that the Chevy K2500HD can handle a 5'er weight 15,500lbs and up 32.5ft in length. No 1/2 ton can compare especially when the 3/4 ton is equipped with the Duramax turbo diesel.........

#27 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

Anyone have any comments on this? Here is the email conversation..TC is a Travel Lite..Fits both Long & Short Bed BOx

**EMAIL I SENT**

As discussed, 3200lbs Dry weight + (estimates) 16 gallons fresh, 133.4 pounds + 20-pound full propane tank, 37 pounds + battery, 65 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 3,954 lbs

Let's call it 4000lbs
That would put me $1,400.00 lbs over? I think

My Truck: 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty; Lariat; Diesel; Short Box; 156.2WB; 3.73 (Rear Axle Ratio)

Door sticker info says GVWR 10,000lbs; Front GAWR 5600lbs Rear GAWR 6100lbs; Axle 3L;

Ford Brochure under Max payload says 2410lbs

My Owners Guide/Manual - GCWR Numbers:
When I look in the Manual I don't see 3:73 Diesel;

Under Diesel only category is 4:10 & 4:30; So I assume my GCWR is 21000; Lowest # under the 6.8L

F-250 5.4L with 3.73 shows GCWR 16000lbs; The F-250 & F-350 SRW numbers are the same.

**DEALERS RESPONSE**

Good Morning!
After speaking with my sales manager and two of the technicians at our store; everyone is condifent that you have ample truck for this trailer. You are correct on the specifications according to the manufacturer, however everyone concurs that they are simply under-rating your truck in order to create more difference between the F250 and single wheel F350...

Airbags will still greatly improve your ride.

#28 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I own both a 11.5' TC and a 27RL Laredo 5ver. I keep the 5ver parked for full-timing while working away from home during the work-week. I have a few things for you to keep in mind if you are going to buy a 5ver.

IMHO:
1) The Rear Living (RL) gives you the most open feel and panaromic view of whereever you are camping. We always end up BACKING INTO the RV spot at the lake, in the woods, in the mountains, in the desert, whereever. The Rear Kitchen (RK) is the next best thing, depending on the back window layout. The Rear Bath is going to give you a blank wall back there. A BUNKHOUSE (BH) is going to give you a blank wall. A TOY HAULER is going to give you a blank wall.

Ok...Next..on size...

2) Note that the size you see on the MODEL is not always the actual length. My 27RL is 29.5' from the back window to the front camper wall. A 34' will be about 37' in truth. About the length of the camper, yes...a 27 to 31 foot MODEL is all you really need. Anything down in the 24' range is starting to get a bit crowded..and anything over 32' is starting to get WAY UP THERE in weight. A 27' will weigh in the 7k pound range..but a 32-34' will go up to near 10k.

Ok...The Pain in the $ss!

3) THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE $SS is about the BEDROOM on the overhang of my 5ver. Mine doesn't have a 'bedroom slide'. I had looked at one with a b/s, but didn't think about it any more until after I bought one WITHOUT it. With the b/s you could WALK AROUND the bed to get in-and-out of bed fom either side..and you could FIX THE BED from either side.

Without a bedroom slide, you have to fix the bed, enter-and-leave the same as you do in a truck camper...all from the foot of the bed. Yes, you have a 12" wide berth on both sides of the bed on which you can kneel when fixing it..but you can't stand up on it. You end up kneeling in the middle of the bed and fixing it in all 4 directions, just like a TC.

If I had to do it all over again...I'd NOT have a 5'ver without a bedroom slide...for just these reasons. PLUS, with the bedroom slide, you have a better storage layout. Sometimes a bigger closet, and drawers.

#29 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

WILDCAT please be advised that GCVWR is based on the transmission that is installed in your truck and not the engine size or type. This is why the rating for the F-250 and F-350 are the same since they employ the same tranny. As an example;

Close relative of mine = Dodge RAM 3500 = DRW (dually) = tranny = 47RE = GCVWR = 19,000lbs (engine = CTD);

Mine = Chevy K2500HD SILVERADO = SRW = tranny = Allison M-74 1000 series 5 speed = GCVWR = 22,000lbs (engine = Duramax).

Hope this makes it clearer..............Steve...

#30 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • State/Province or Region:iowa
  • Camper Brand:fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge 3500 SRW

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:51 AM

We're thinking about getting something newer and/or bigger? And I'm considering a 5ther with a garage. The cost is much greater, but overall the unit would be close to the same length when its allover as I pull with our TC a 14' trailer too.
Heres one on ebay.
Posted Imageebay link

#31 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:52 AM

My link

#32 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

We're thinking about getting something newer and/or bigger? And I'm considering a 5ther with a garage. The cost is much greater, but overall the unit would be close to the same length when its allover as I pull with our TC a 14' trailer too.
Heres one on ebay.
Posted Imageebay link

I am not sure how you are going to be using it... But in my humble opinion (ya I know opinion is like a %$#@ everyone has one - LOL!)
why not consider a small 5er 25/26FT max - dry weight 6000lbs & hookup a small swivel wheel trailer behind?

here's the link for an example: http://www.cruiserli...wivelwheel.html

TC type setup with none of the negatives?

#33 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

I am not sure how you are going to be using it... But in my humble opinion (ya I know opinion is like a %$#@ everyone has one - LOL!)
why not consider a small 5er 25/26FT max - dry weight 6000lbs & hookup a small swivel wheel trailer behind?

here's the link for an example: http://www.cruiserli...wivelwheel.html

TC type setup with none of the negatives?

#34 OFFLINE   rick1

rick1

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • Truck Make & Model:ford f350 pwrstrke
  • Name (Public):rick

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

If I may make a comment or two. I know I'm new here but I have been fulltiming in a 5r for 7 years now and am considering a TC. The points you make are true and accurate about the 5'r. But you see there is other things to consider. That is the journey. While your going down the road and you see something of interest can you just simply pull over and enjoy it with everyone else? TC yes 5'r not likely no parking not good in tight places you get nervous about where to put that little monster to go enjoy this attraction. That happens alot during just one day. The 5'r is nice but you will MISS out on alot while traveling down the road or should I say interstate because thats where you will most likely travel with a 5'r. Next you turn up ill can the DW drive the 5'r? I bet she can drive the TC. You want to save money try parking a 5'r in a discreet place or a the side of a mountain road, neighborhood. Not in this day and age you will be asked to move or just due to size you cant or shouldn't do to safety reasons. A campground every night 25 bucks at least or the Wal-Mart parking lot(now thats seeing America). A TC very discreet no problem overnighting anywhere. Cost 0 if you wish the view priceless and you get to pick it. Insurance better read the fine print you'll be amazed what's not covered and how exposed you really are financially in a 5'r. TC piece of cake. Yes the 5'r is more like what you are use to but remeber it's the journey and this whole experience is to bring the outdoors in. If you want to see Alaska,Colorado, Montana ask anybody they will tell you see it in a TC. The reason is simple. You can get there to see it. Keep this in mind too before you purchase. The KISS system works best out on the road.Do you really need a slide? Really? What happens when it goes bad (if its mechinacal it will break) Try removing snow on the roof of a slide to bring it in during a winter get away. Can you Drive and set up in the winter with a 5'r yes but it's much more difficult than the ease of a TC. So if your going to sit and squat the 5'r has it's GREAT points. But if your rolling and seeing all of America and wish to enjoy the journey. May I strongly suggest you look at a TC. For it's the journey that we live for. The destination is just a place to plan our next trip. Hope this helps. Rick

#35 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

If I may make a comment or two. I know I'm new here but I have been fulltiming in a 5r for 7 years now and am considering a TC. The points you make are true and accurate about the 5'r. But you see there is other things to consider. That is the journey. While your going down the road and you see something of interest can you just simply pull over and enjoy it with everyone else? TC yes 5'r not likely no parking not good in tight places you get nervous about where to put that little monster to go enjoy this attraction. That happens alot during just one day. The 5'r is nice but you will MISS out on alot while traveling down the road or should I say interstate because thats where you will most likely travel with a 5'r. Next you turn up ill can the DW drive the 5'r? I bet she can drive the TC. You want to save money try parking a 5'r in a discreet place or a the side of a mountain road, neighborhood. Not in this day and age you will be asked to move or just due to size you cant or shouldn't do to safety reasons. A campground every night 25 bucks at least or the Wal-Mart parking lot(now thats seeing America). A TC very discreet no problem overnighting anywhere. Cost 0 if you wish the view priceless and you get to pick it. Insurance better read the fine print you'll be amazed what's not covered and how exposed you really are financially in a 5'r. TC piece of cake. Yes the 5'r is more like what you are use to but remeber it's the journey and this whole experience is to bring the outdoors in. If you want to see Alaska,Colorado, Montana ask anybody they will tell you see it in a TC. The reason is simple. You can get there to see it. Keep this in mind too before you purchase. The KISS system works best out on the road.Do you really need a slide? Really? What happens when it goes bad (if its mechinacal it will break) Try removing snow on the roof of a slide to bring it in during a winter get away. Can you Drive and set up in the winter with a 5'r yes but it's much more difficult than the ease of a TC. So if your going to sit and squat the 5'r has it's GREAT points. But if your rolling and seeing all of America and wish to enjoy the journey. May I strongly suggest you look at a TC. For it's the journey that we live for. The destination is just a place to plan our next trip. Hope this helps. Rick

Good points, but with a 14' trailer behind the TC we are just about as prohibited as a smaller 5ther. I don't see the TC as much better getting around, except its shorter? The same height, the same truck. Maybe if you had a pop TC, you go down a goat path or something but not with a hard side. Winter is not in the plans.

#36 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

I'm with you Rick! I own both right now. The 5ver is now used as a motel room when I'm working away from home (250 miles). It stays in a RV park; My TC stays home on the truck, ready for weekends. In the last 3 months I've made 4 camping trips, all in the TC, and not once considered taking the 5ver for any of them.

On Labor Day, we're having a bi-annual family campout. Four travel trailers/5vers are going to a big lake only 40 miles from where my 5ver is parked right now. BUT, we're taking the TC for that weekend instead of just pulling the 5ver the 40 miles to the lake. We're the only ones bringing a boat.

Since we cancelled the September TC Rally in Arkansas, we're instead going to cruise through the Smokies, and then to the East coast to explore for lighthouses. No contest here either. We're taking the TC through the mountains, and along the seashore. You are so right....Traveling the less-traveled-path = TC.

A number of times during the day when we are traveling, we pull into farmroads, driveways, and little grocery stores. Someone on here said that TC'rs were more friendly people than tow trailer people. I'd take that a step further in saying that strangers are more friendly to TC'rs than towing people. To each his own.

#37 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

One important point to consider that always haunts a TC owner. I know it was always nagging at me was the weight/over weight issue, bigtime. If you are gonna get a TC of any size or quality it's gonna be heavy and probably to heavy for any given SRW (single rear wheeled) vehicle. Now you're gonna require a DRW (dual rear wheeled) if you wanna be within your GVWR limit and even then some duallys are overweight. in the off season when the TC is not in use that's a lot of truck sittin' in the driveway doin' squat!! I know when we switched to our 5'er we were well within our GVWR and GCVWR limits = a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle as well as piece of mind!! As far as handier gettin' in and outta spots to view the scenery I haven't had a problem in this area yet. IMHO, if you're nervous drivin' a 5'er then stear clear of them. As for travelling on I-highways only this is a crock. I have yet to find a road I can't take my 5'er on. It's just you have to drive a little slower on some then on others. As far as campsite restrictions I take mine into all State, National and Municipal campgrounds as well as the freebees such as casinos & of course, Walmart. Nice thing I've found about Walmart is I've unhooked my 5'er there to go tour places I decided not to take it. Walmart was more then happy to accomodate me 'cause they know my Mrs is gonna be droppin' some cash there later. IMHO, the pros far outway the cons with a 5'er and more so then with a TC!!!......................Steve... :fing32:

#38 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

I have to agree with Sir William for the most part. That being said, I would go back to a TC in a heart beat if my wife would agree. That being said, unless something happens to her we will be a 5er for some time. Our 5er is a 24ft model, just fine for the 2 of us. Biggest negative is "making the bed". It is not a problem to hook / unhook, and easy 1 man job. Fuel mileage = 12, maybe 13 per gallon.
Good luck

Edited by stuwu4s, 29 August 2009 - 04:45 PM.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#39 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hello Rick! Of course you may make a comment or two...that is what this forum is all about..giving other folks your point of view.. thats why i joined to learn & get different perspectives.. And may i say that your point of view is well taken..definetly some food for thought..As always thanks for the comments!

#40 OFFLINE   WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Good points, but with a 14' trailer behind the TC we are just about as prohibited as a smaller 5ther. I don't see the TC as much better getting around, except its shorter? The same height, the same truck. Maybe if you had a pop TC, you go down a goat path or something but not with a hard side. Winter is not in the plans.

Another good POINT! Most folks are taking a trailer behind the TC for all there stuff..so pretty much back to a small 5ER type experience without the benefits?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In