64 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

People can break anything and having one break doesn't say much. If the dealer is still sending to Germany for parts, they are incompetent. I guess that's better than Snowy Bird being in a time warp. smile.gif
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#62 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • Local time: 06:37 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Bigf00t @ May 18 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BMW's can't be THAT bad.. unsure.gif

Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman went around the world on a couple of 1150 GS' with only a few problems, mainly due to wear and tear and the terrain they took the bikes through. I don't think any machine would survive totally unscathed.

If you have a chance to watch it, the program was called "Long Way Round". They also did another shortly after called "Long Way Down" going through Africa.

They're not that bad.
I have seen a clip or 2 on that duo. Don't forget, they had a whole army of staff behind them and it was made for TV.

A friend of mine, went around the world by herself, without any "staff" to help her out when the going got tough.
Her bike, a Honda Magna and the only mechanical problem she had, through the entire adventure was a wire popping off of one of the plugs, or a loose battery connection. Something very minor that she fixed herself.
She said she was on many roads/trails that she wouldn't even have taken a quad on, but she had to keep going.
I've seen that bike after it came home and it looked like it was to hell and back,
Here's the link to the book that she's written about her experiences.
Untamed Spirit

Her ride now..a HONDA ST 1300.

#63 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

I think you can have problems with anything, even the most expensive machines have some problems some times. I own a 73 r/5 60 BMW that was my fathers. It now has over 80,000 miles on it and is 36 years old. It hasn't had the best care but has been maintained. I ride it all of the time. One of the issues that I had last year was the Carbs, and that is only because of the age and that they don't make parts for them any longer (the carbs).
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#64 OFFLINE   Budster

Budster

Founding Member - Former Director

• Founder
  • 1697 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Lazy Daze 30IB
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

1980 FXWG
126K miles
Rebuilt engine @ 85K miles when I added the bling, it really didn't need the rebuild but I upgraded the the pistons, cam, clutch, ignition....

ymmv,
Jerry

00 30IB Lazy Daze
Mira Loma, CA
Visit My Website

#65 OFFLINE   Colorado_Dave

Colorado_Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Polaris, Harley-Davidson, Hunting/Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TS1000
  • Truck Make & Model:Chev 3500 CrewCab SRW Duramax/Allison
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (FedAgent @ May 17 2009, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both of the accident bikes were HD. Four bikes conked out on this 400 mile trip, all were HD and all were bikes less than two years old. I am not drawing any conclusions here, just relating what was seen a couple of weeks ago. I like Harley's and had four before I got my Honda Valkyrie, but I also had my share of issue with my HD's and to be honest, have driven the crap our of the Honda, lots of stop and go stuff for veteran funerals, slow, hot parade duty (real hard on an air cooled HD) and long, fast trips here and there. Have not had one problem with the AMERICAN made Honda in 3 years.

Ha, the old reliability myth again - kinda retro... It amazes me how well you kept track of the parade - were you the last bike? You were drawing conclusions Fed Agent and I declare BUNK. Like many Harley riders I cut my teeth (and dented a fuel tank) on a couple of jap bikes. Most of my fellow HD riders did too. My previous hondas were fun little bikes but lacked character and were by no means "reliable" the CM400 was a PIA to do oil changes due to the pieces and parts. The Magna's 4 carbs were a yearly battle where half the time just reassembling them was the fix. Never understood that design. My father-in-laws liquid cooled goldwing overheated in the colorado mountains, whereas my HD has never not started, never broke down, and is the easiest bike to maintain. Are you sure you had a Harley in your past? It seems you don't know them very well!

Don't fool yourself with that American made honda line - your honda is as japanese as japanese gets and don't worry about blaming HD for your decision to go japanese, I will not be following this post further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In