64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

Fun thread...make me want to go ride (been riding the last two weekends....)

QUOTE (jimh @ Mar 10 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
300 miles on the right trails would take a lot longer!

Very true. The right 60 mile single track (such as the Timberline Trail in central Colorado) will take from half a day to all day, depending on conditions and the rider. The Colorado 1000 takes all week to do (I'd sure like to do that one someday.)

2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#42 OFFLINE   Airshow Roy

Airshow Roy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Local time: 04:12 PM
  • Interests:Travel, skiing, Amateur Radio,

Member: Mission Search and Rescue - 10 years
    Mission RCMP Auxiliary - 20 years
    Mission Amateur Radio Emergency Service - 15 years
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 9.9
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Well, completed the course and pulled the trigger on a new bike. Nope, not a Road King... dealer wanted too much money and we couln't come to an agreement. Bought a new Yamaha Road Star 1700 Silverado. Sweet ride! And a lot sell $$$ than the Harley (and alot less vibration and shaking too).
Roy
Mission, B.C.
2007 Eagle Cap 990

#43 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 PM
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy it and ride safe.

#44 OFFLINE   Colorado_Dave

Colorado_Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Polaris, Harley-Davidson, Hunting/Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TS1000
  • Truck Make & Model:Chev 3500 CrewCab SRW Duramax/Allison
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hmmm, did you ride a Road King? - No vibration. I have not really heard the designed-in feel of the Twin Cam engines as "shaking" (except maybe at the yamaha or honda dealerships!). Nice motorcycle but your comparison to Harley Davidson is unnecessary - I would agree that your yamaha is better than a suzuki. Ha, couldn't resist...

#45 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 PM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Airshow Roy @ May 14 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, completed the course and pulled the trigger on a new bike. Nope, not a Road King... dealer wanted too much money and we couln't come to an agreement. Bought a new Yamaha Road Star 1700 Silverado. Sweet ride! And a lot sell $$ than the Harley (and alot less vibration and shaking too).

Roy, nothing wrong going to a metric ride. I was a long time Harley guy, and agree that they are overpriced and somewhat behind the times as far a technology. I currently have a 6 cylinder Honda Valkyrie and it was half the price of a big Harley and is twice the bike. Welcome to the biker world!

Larry
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#46 OFFLINE   Colorado_Dave

Colorado_Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Polaris, Harley-Davidson, Hunting/Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TS1000
  • Truck Make & Model:Chev 3500 CrewCab SRW Duramax/Allison
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (FedAgent @ May 14 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roy, nothing wrong going to a metric ride. I was a long time Harley guy, and agree that they are overpriced and somewhat behind the times as far a technology. I currently have a 6 cylinder Honda Valkyrie and it was half the price of a big Harley and is twice the bike. Welcome to the biker world!

Larry

another jab at the the most popular motorcylce manufacturer in the world? I guess if you are referring to cylinders its actually 3x. However I am not sure there are too many production motorcycles as fugly as a valkyrie except one of those BMWs with cylinder jugs sticking out the sides. tongue.gif

Ah. its time for me to go to bed.

#47 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

I kinda' think of motorcycle in a similar light as truck campers. They are both recreational types of items. I will camp with you regardless of make/ model (even if it is a Lance tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif )

...I will say the same as motorcycles. I belong to my local ABATE chapter which welcomes all makes. When I lived in Rhode Island and owned an Electra- Glide, I belonged to a group which did not show colors. We rode for the sake of riding... because that's what motorcycles are all about...

...just like truck campers and NATCOA... it's all about camping.

(...now if there were a way to put a TC on a motorcycle....!

...well, maybe not.) laugh.gif

#48 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

No doubt that Harley's are as close to an original as we have for cruisers. There is a reason their style is copied!
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#49 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Airshow Roy @ May 14 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, completed the course and pulled the trigger on a new bike. Nope, not a Road King... dealer wanted too much money and we couln't come to an agreement. Bought a new Yamaha Road Star 1700 Silverado. Sweet ride! And a lot sell $$$ than the Harley (and alot less vibration and shaking too).

Congrats Roy ! When are you taking the road test ? My wife just passed hers last Thursday, now the search begins for a new bike..... Metric of course. wink.gif
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#50 OFFLINE   Airshow Roy

Airshow Roy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Local time: 04:12 PM
  • Interests:Travel, skiing, Amateur Radio,

Member: Mission Search and Rescue - 10 years
    Mission RCMP Auxiliary - 20 years
    Mission Amateur Radio Emergency Service - 15 years
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 9.9
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I passed my road test in april, then left for two weeks in Cuba. Got back and bought the bike. Expensive few weeks!

Roy
Mission, B.C.
2007 Eagle Cap 990

#51 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 PM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (Bigf00t @ May 16 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats Roy ! When are you taking the road test ? My wife just passed hers last Thursday, now the search begins for a new bike..... Metric of course. wink.gif

Hey, congrats to your wife... smile.gif
Probably the most popular bikes in our club are the Honda Magna, Honda VTX 1300 and the Yamaha 1100.
If you can find a Honda Magna (750) that's in good shape, buy it. They are great bikes and also very fast. I hate to say it but, a friend of mine keeps right up there with me on my 1800.
Lots of people have bought the Magnas as they figured it would be their first bike to learn on, then discovered how fast and reliable they are and now they won't give them up for anything. They are very easy to lower also.
I've got over 60 k kms on my Honda GW Trike and Doug has over 35k kms on his Valkyrie Trike, with nary a hiccup.
Friends also have HD's, yep they're cool, they sound good, but the reliabilty leaves something to be desired.
Nothing worse than planning a nice vacation and having your bike crap out part way through it.

#52 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

We did a 400 mile run to support a veteran cause recently. It was a combined grouping of several MC clubs. There were about 250 bikes strung out for the trip. We staggered the time so we did not have a 5 mile long group of bikers going down the highway. A good percentage of the bikes were HD. About half were first time bikers who were having a mid-life crisis, easy to spot. The safety captain briefed all about safety, riding staggered and the rest of common sense road rules. One guy, a newbie, ran into the ass of the guy in front of him at a stop light at the stagging area, both bikes out and slight injuries. Both of the accident bikes were HD. Four bikes conked out on this 400 mile trip, all were HD and all were bikes less than two years old. I am not drawing any conclusions here, just relating what was seen a couple of weeks ago. I like Harley's and had four before I got my Honda Valkyrie, but I also had my share of issue with my HD's and to be honest, have driven the crap our of the Honda, lots of stop and go stuff for veteran funerals, slow, hot parade duty (real hard on an air cooled HD) and long, fast trips here and there. Have not had one problem with the AMERICAN made Honda in 3 years.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#53 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 759 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (FedAgent @ May 17 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We did a 400 mile run to support a veteran cause recently. It was a combined grouping of several MC clubs. There were about 250 bikes strung out for the trip. We staggered the time so we did not have a 5 mile long group of bikers going down the highway. A good percentage of the bikes were HD. About half were first time bikers who were having a mid-life crisis, easy to spot. The safety captain briefed all about safety, riding staggered and the rest of common sense road rules. One guy, a newbie, ran into the ass of the guy in front of him at a stop light at the stagging area, both bikes out and slight injuries. Both of the accident bikes were HD. Four bikes conked out on this 400 mile trip, all were HD and all were bikes less than two years old. I am not drawing any conclusions here, just relating what was seen a couple of weeks ago. I like Harley's and had four before I got my Honda Valkyrie, but I also had my share of issue with my HD's and to be honest, have driven the crap our of the Honda, lots of stop and go stuff for veteran funerals, slow, hot parade duty (real hard on an air cooled HD) and long, fast trips here and there. Have not had one problem with the AMERICAN made Honda in 3 years.

i do not own a bike nor do i ever plan to own one. i fact i have no use for them. especially the ones you can hear two miles down the road. But, last year I was in Munich Germany and visited the BMW world headquarters, there I saw the most beautiful bike ever. A BMW or course, do not know the model. If this were a woman she would be the most beautiful woman in the world. A 10 ++++.

LSITDSDQWDTP
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#54 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (stuwu4s @ May 17 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i do not own a bike nor do i ever plan to own one. i fact i have no use for them. especially the ones you can hear two miles down the road. But, last year I was in Munich Germany and visited the BMW world headquarters, there I saw the most beautiful bike ever. A BMW or course, do not know the model. If this were a woman she would be the most beautiful woman in the world. A 10 ++++.

LSITDSDQWDTP

The BMW's are also sweet bikes, but God help you when they break down.
I have heard of many being stuck in the middle of no where for a couple weeks, waiting for parts from Europe.
There are very few dealerships that sell those bikes and/or service them, as they are a rare breed.

I was just talking to a guy last week that owns a BMW service shop for cars (private place) and he gave me the run down on the history of Beemers.
Very interesting and now I have my eyes open for BMW cutlery.

Back to HD. Not that I hate them by any means, as I own some HOG stock.

#55 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Snowy, "BMW cutlery"?? Never heard of it. I bet it is high dollar stuff!!!

#56 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Larry,
Apparently after the war was over, they used the old aircraft to make cutlery to get them through the tough years.
BMW were originally bicycles, then onto cutlery, then back to bicycles, and onto cars and motorcyles.
The conversation all started with me noticing the shop owner had a teeny little kids bicycle with a BWW crest on it.
He just brought it back from Europe from a recent vacation.
He told me that if I ever saw cutlery crested with BMW, grab it, as it's worth a small fortune.

#57 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Snowy Bird, you must be in a time warp. BMWs are fairly common, and parts are available in the US from a variety of sources not counting dealers.

On the plus side, the bikes are made for high mileage, so the chances of you actually breaking are quite a bit less than almost any other bike.
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#58 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (jimh @ May 17 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Snowy Bird, you must be in a time warp. BMWs are fairly common, and parts are available in the US from a variety of sources not counting dealers.

On the plus side, the bikes are made for high mileage, so the chances of you actually breaking are quite a bit less than almost any other bike.

Well, not really. One of the guys that I ride with has a BMW, a 2007, and it seems to be prone to little things going south on it. The nearest shop that he bought it from and that does service on it is over 150 miles away, He lost an engine seal on it last fall and it took almost two weeks to get one to the dealer, that seems long to me. I am sure up where Snowy lives, it would take time to get parts there in a hurry.

#59 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (jimh @ May 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A time warp... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif you're funny.

Actually there is a BMW bike dealer just about 6-8 kms from my house.

Whenever I drive by that dealership (which is everyday), I see the BMW's on the back of wreckers with the rider inside crying, cuz they're stuck in our beautiful city until their bike parts arrive from Germany. At least Fedex is just around the block from them..., hmmm, maybe a coincidence.

I also ride with one friend with a 1200 Beemer, lots of problems with it.

#60 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

BMW's can't be THAT bad.. unsure.gif

Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman went around the world on a couple of 1150 GS' with only a few problems, mainly due to wear and tear and the terrain they took the bikes through. I don't think any machine would survive totally unscathed.

If you have a chance to watch it, the program was called "Long Way Round". They also did another shortly after called "Long Way Down" going through Africa.
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In