64 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 07:56 PM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

The only good view of a thunderstorm ...... is in your rearview mirror.

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Four wheels move the body ....... two wheels move the soul.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 60 mph!

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

If you wait ........ all that happens is that you get older.

Midnight bugs taste just as bad as Noon time bugs.

Saddlebags can never hold everything you want, ...... but they CAN hold everything you need.

Don't ride so late into the night that you sleep through the sunrise.

Sometimes it takes a whole tank full of gas before you can think straight.

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.

Never hesitate to ride past the last street light at the edge of town.

Never do less than forty miles before breakfast.

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.

Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and lived ....... and still rides.

Young riders pick a destination and go....... Old riders pick a direction and go.

A good mechanic will let you watch without charging you for it.

Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night.

Always back your bike into the curb and sit where you can see it.

There are old riders .... and there are drunk riders ...... but there are not many old, drunk riders.

Ride to work...... Work to ride.

Whatever it is, it's better in the wind...

A Two-lane blacktop isn't a highway ....... it's an attitude.

When you look down the road, it seems to never end - but you better believe it does!

Winter is Nature's way of telling you to test the electrics.

Keep your bike in good repair........ Motorcycle boots are not all that comfortable for walking.

People are like motorcycles: each is customized a little bit differently.

Sometimes, the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes.

When you're riding lead, don't spit.

A friend is someone who'll get out of bed at 2 a.m. to drive his pickup to the middle of nowhere to get you when you're broken down.

Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt @ 70 mph can double your vocabulary.

There's something ugly about a NEW bike ON A TRAILER.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on ...... some don't .......some can't.

If you can't get it going with bungee cords and duct tape, it's serious.

If you ride like there's no tomorrow ........ there may not be.

The best modifications cannot be seen from the outside.

Always replace the cheapest parts first.

You can forget what you do for a living when your knees are in the breeze.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it's head out of a car window.

Keep the painted side up ..... and the rubber side down!

There are two types of people in this world...... people who ride motorcycles ..... and people who wish they could ride motorcycles.....

RIDE EM IF YOU GOT EM !!!

Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#2 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 PM
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (FedAgent @ Mar 12 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and lived ....... and still rides

Been there, Done that... got the scars to prove it. (and the helmet didn't make a damn bit of difference!)

I should be getting my old '74 Triumph out of the shop this spring. It has been there for some 4+ years! I have been getting my ridin' fix every so often by flying to places and renting a Dresser. Not too much of a riding season up where I am at as there is snow possibilities at any month of the year.

Larry, Have you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?"

"Let Those Who Ride Decide"
2005 Dodge Ram. 3500 diesel, SRW, 4WD, NV-5600, Helwig, 9000XL
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#3 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (d3500ram @ Mar 12 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been there, Done that... got the scars to prove it. (and the helmet didn't make a damn bit of difference!)

I should be getting my old '74 Triumph out of the shop this spring. It has been there for some 4+ years! I have been getting my ridin' fix every so often by flying to places and renting a Dresser. Not too much of a riding season up where I am at as there is snow possibilities at any month of the year.

Larry, Have you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?"

"Let Those Who Ride Decide"

Frank, I read the Zen book several years ago. I have passed my copy off to guys I ride with. I think that old copy has been read a dozen times by now. Get that old Triumph out on the road!! Four years of not riding is way too long. I sure do not ride as much as I used to, after 45 years of being in the saddle and having a dozen or so bikes, I now am a little more picky about who I ride with, when and where I wish to ride. My last long trip was the 100th HD celebration in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 2003. Five of us left south Texas, went to Wisconsin, then to South Dakota, over to Colorado , New Mexico and then home. We all did manage to get the 1000 miles in 24 hours "Iron Butt" patch. In the last few years, prefer to ride by myself, no direction in mind, just go and enjoy myself.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#4 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite Ten 2000 RR
  • Truck Make & Model:1990 Dodge w/Cummins

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

BMWs, Norton, Triumphs, BSAs, Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, antique & modern HDs, HD hack, Moto Guzzis, Cushman, modern scooters.

Still have Moto Guzzi and scooter.

Gary

#5 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (NL Ten 2000 RR @ Mar 12 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BMWs, Norton, Triumphs, BSAs, Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, antique & modern HDs, HD hack, Moto Guzzis, Cushman, modern scooters.

Still have Moto Guzzi and scooter.

Gary

Gary, my all time favorite ride was a Norton 750 Commando. I bought that bike in the mid-60's, then went into the Army. I left it with my Dad. When I got out of the service, I was talking to my Mom one day and told her that I was going to come and get it one of these days. She said it will break your Dad's heart, he has been riding it pretty often for the last four years. I never did get the bike and he rode it well into his late 70's.

Have a Honda six cylinder Valkyrie and a HD bagger now. The Valk is a much better ride.

Larry

#6 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

That is neat. My Norton was a '75' Interstate (large gas tank) Commando.

1500 miles when I bought it as a classic. Had single Mikuni carb. Got over 55 mpg.

These later Nortons had "Superblend" main bearings. These were slightly football-shaped
rollers in the crank roller bearings. A common uodate for older bike engines.
Cranks flexed. Superblends prevented disentagration of corners of rollers.

Really smooth bike with adjustable Isolastic engine suspension.

Bike sold at auction at AMA Heritage Days in Ohio. Bike went to France.

Gary

#7 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hoping to be back on this soon:

Attached Files

2008 NorthStar Arrow

#8 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (NL Ten 2000 RR @ Mar 12 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is neat. My Norton was a '75' Interstate (large gas tank) Commando.

1500 miles when I bought it as a classic. Had single Mikuni carb. Got over 55 mpg.

These later Nortons had "Superblend" main bearings. These were slightly football-shaped
rollers in the crank roller bearings. A common uodate for older bike engines.
Cranks flexed. Superblends prevented disentagration of corners of rollers.

Really smooth bike with adjustable Isolastic engine suspension.

Bike sold at auction at AMA Heritage Days in Ohio. Bike went to France.

Gary

Gary, a couple of months ago, I saw a 70 or 71 Norton Commando on ebay. It was pristine, only 6K miles on it. I had a bid on it, and I really wanted it. I missed out on it by 6 grand. I bid $5500 and it went for over 12 grand. I was amazed at the price!!!

Larry

#9 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (d3500ram @ Mar 12 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoping to be back on this soon:

Frank, if you twist my arm, I'll be a nice guy and take it off your hands! LOL

Good looking machine, classic 60's style.

#10 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

Glad to know there are some other bikers out there. I ride a 1973 R60/5 BMW that used to be my dad's. I think it hs around 81,000 on it now. Runs good but is a little under powered. Would like to get one of the new 1200's but cna't afford that kind of outlay right now.
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#11 OFFLINE   RedRattler01

RedRattler01

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford Pickup
  • Name (Public):Chris

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I read "Zen" in high school when it first came out... http://en.wikipedia....cle_Maintenance

The day I turned 16 I got my drivers license... 16+ one day I got my motorcyle license. 16+ day two, my Dad bought a $5000 life insurance policy on me!... I rode a Honda CB-350 from Portland, Oregon to Pasco, Washington 2 wks later. Man what a ride!!! (only 190 miles, but at 70-90mph... whoooeeee!!!) I remember passing semi trucks doing 80 and havin them look down and flash me the "peace sign" (for the younger readers, fist clenched, first two fingers upright in a V)... On that old Honda, it was very exciting to say the least to take one hand off the handlebar and "flash" them back... I had that bike for 3-4 yrs before I "upgraded" to a 1972 Honda CB-450... Still have that bike parked in my garage, along with a old Suzuki 125 and a 1975 Hoda XL-250 I bought brand new... Sorry to say none have been started for many years now.
And BWT if you read the book, my name is also Chris...

#12 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

Model Ts, Model As, Cushmans, Crosleys, micro/mini cars, antique motorcycles, all too expensive
to be worth the prices now. Everybody is seemingly measuring investment, rather than enjoying the fun.

Values go down in times like this, but still not worth prices indicated, IMO.

Gary

#13 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

All my bikes (4) are dirt bikes (though 1 is my wifes!)...someday I'll get a street bike - just not sure when - or what type. In general I'd rather do 300 miles of trails than a 1000 on the road, but there is that different feeling crusing down the highway at speed too - it just puts a grin on your face.....something like this one:

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it's head out of a car window.

That's a great one.

2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#14 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (btggraphix @ Mar 13 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In general I'd rather do 300 miles of trails than a 1000 on the road, but there is that different feeling crusing down the highway at speed too - it just puts a grin on your face.....something like this one:

300 miles on the right trails would take a lot longer! My bikes haven't taught me anything about life...yet. smile.gif I'll have to rde more...I guess.
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#15 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (jimh @ Mar 13 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My bikes haven't taught me anything about life...yet. smile.gif I'll have to rde more...I guess.

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should listen a little harder to what your bike is telling you about independence, self reliance, joy, excitement, fear, exhilaration, frustration, disappointment and every other emotion know to mankind, most of which you can not experienced in a cage. I seldom would consider driving fifty miles in any of my four wheel vehicles to have a cup of coffee, but it is a sure thing and pleasure to do it on my bike. biggrin.gif

#16 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, I live a couple of miles at work, but sometimes take the long way...to the tune of about 50 miles. smile.gif
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#17 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

Two things come to mind;

My first bank loan, to establish credit, co-signed by my Dad, was for a 45" sidevalve Harley Davidson w/Harley sidecar.
Had reverse gear. Chair was really rare, as it was the Dutch shoe look, but had no door from new.
Bike still at Cincinnati Harley dealer. They put a life-size Santa Claus mannequin in the chair every Christmas.
Went through a '46' Knucklehead for my older Brother. Got to ride it at will.
Actually learned to ride on this bike. Foot clutch and tank shift.

Here is a tidbit: All these "knuckleheads" that ride HDs today, wouldn't know what the "Zen" book is.
Everyone appears to want to be a badass hollywood poser. Non-conformers wearing identical uniforms and
blipping throttles at redlights for attention.

Want to have some fun? Innocently ask the Harley "know everythings" Typically the top-of-the-pecking-order rider,
What is a suicide clutch?

Almost all will tell you that it is a rocking foot clutch. Not true. A suicide clutch only exists when the friction linkage
is backed off so that the clutch will always engage. Stock, the removed left foot will leave the
clutch disengaged (if rotated aft). A suicide clutch immediately engages if rider removes his foot.

Having tried this to see what all the hoopla was about, it was immediately obvious that the idea had no merit
what-so-ever. Toughest was attempting a tight left turn, as you had to lean left (falling over) while rocking the
clutch aft to shift the tank lever from neutral to 1st, and immediately rock it forward to move forward.
Silly to say the least. Good for winning an adult beverage amongst "professionals" whos religion is Hardly Ablesons. LOL.

You fellow riders might google the MGNOC website. An article there is titled, "Surely, you don't downshift..., Do You?!"
The article is a treatise on why "never" to downshift under typical riding conditions.
Stoplight throttle blippers are also notorious downshifters (badass noise, don't you know).

To this day, I still like three speeds with handlebar spark advance/retard. About a 5.5-1 compression ratio (often less)
with the spark partially retarded will cruise through a small town soooo smoooothly at 25 mph.

My Guzzi and scooter are automatics.

Gary

#18 OFFLINE   Colorado_Dave

Colorado_Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Polaris, Harley-Davidson, Hunting/Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TS1000
  • Truck Make & Model:Chev 3500 CrewCab SRW Duramax/Allison
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

I guess I enjoy being a "know it all" Harley Davidson owner. I love the fact that it is American born and bred...

#19 OFFLINE   Airshow Roy

Airshow Roy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • Interests:Travel, skiing, Amateur Radio,

Member: Mission Search and Rescue - 10 years
    Mission RCMP Auxiliary - 20 years
    Mission Amateur Radio Emergency Service - 15 years
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 9.9
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

I start my motorcycle course on the 30th of this month. Already have my eye on a Harley Road King. So far it's been the only bike I feel comfortable on, being 6' 5" and 300lbs. Can't wait to get my license and start riding!
Roy
Mission, B.C.
2007 Eagle Cap 990

#20 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Airshow Roy @ Mar 14 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I start my motorcycle course on the 30th of this month. Already have my eye on a Harley Road King. So far it's been the only bike I feel comfortable on, being 6' 5" and 300lbs. Can't wait to get my license and start riding!

Consider getting the TOURING BACKREST for your RK.... it slips between the slot in the seat and hooks into a hardware bracket underneath. I had a '93 Anniversary Ultra that I put 35K on in 2 years... It would not have been as comfortable doing the miles without the seat back rest
2008 NorthStar Arrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In